Kamutflake Girl tagged me for a meme. It's the first time I've ever been tagged to participate in one of these and I must say, first off, that I'm not sure how to pronounce "meme." Does it rhyme with "theme" or is it pronounced like "Me, me, it's all about me!"? Secondly, I have to admit that I'm finding it difficult to narrow this down to 5 random facts about me. I'd almost rather make it a themed meme with 5 random facts about me and music or me and film. However, I will refrain and simply give you the 5 random facts requested. Here goes nothing:
1. I've been singing my entire life. I don't sing professionally, but I would never turn down that opportunity! I'm the girl in the car next to you on the freeway who is singing with all she has on her long commute to and from work. I will sing along with anything, guessing at the lyrics if I don't know them. I've become well known in my circle for singing the wrong lyrics because that's what they sound like to me (I was 20 before I realized that the song was "Rock the Casbah" and not "Dr. Casbah." True story.). However, I don't sing karaoke because I can't help but take performing too seriously and that's not the point of karaoke.
2. I bought myself a guitar and started taking lessons about 13 months ago because I figured it was time to be able to accompany myself while singing. If I had time to practice daily, I'd be seriously rocking by now, but I don't, so progress has been slow. As soon as I can play well, I'll be hitting the stage for open mic nights (or at least torturing, I mean, entertaining my friends and family)!
3. I always have a song running through my mind. I once worked with a temp who knew this and asked me every day what was playing on my personal radio station (he gave it call letters, but since they would reveal my real name, I won't repeat them here). Along with the song in my mind, I easily find songs to associate with random things people say around me or random things that happen around me (case in point, the fact that I can't help but sing Prince's "Raspberry Beret" when I see raspberry sorbet, as I noted in this post).
4. I'm a huge film fan, but a discerning one. I tend to be quite critical, loving mostly classics, independent/art house films, documentaries, and foreign films. My favorite director is Hitchcock, my favorite actress is Audrey Hepburn, my favorite actors are Cary Grant and Johnny Depp. I have a tie for favorite film: Breakfast at Tiffany's and Disney's Beauty and the Beast (this film has some of the most incredibly intelligent song lyrics ever written; watch it again if you don't believe me!).
5. I'm a natural-born editor and am called upon for all editorial duties by my family and friends. I edited my mom's master's thesis, I edit all the copy for my brother's and my mom's businesses, and I've edited countless friends' resumes, among many other things over the years. I'd love to edit books one day, albeit probably on a small scale because all the publishing houses are in New York and I have no intention of moving there.
Ok, I cheated because I packed multiple facts into each of those 5 tidbits. I'm also going to cheat by not tagging anyone specifically since I think almost everyone has been tagged by now. If you haven't, please consider yourself tagged, as I'd love to read more about you! Thanks for including me, Kamutflake Girl! Oh, and I absolutely can't help but sing Tori Amos's "Cornflake Girl" every time I see Kamutflake Girl's name. :)