Monday, May 5, 2008

The Birthday Itself

As promised, today should be the last time you have to hear all about this wonderful birthday of mine (until next year, that is!). Thanks to all my fabulous friends and family, I had an amazingly festive birthday today. Many of my gifts were food related, so expect to see evidence of them on this blog in posts to come. :)

Although I didn't take any food photos today, I ate more than I should have! The day began with my thoughtful boss throwing me (and the executive vice president, who shares my birthday) a breakfast bagel party. She cleverly thought to put my candle in a little bowl of fruit, which really touched me. Along with my fruit, I had a sun-dried tomato bagel. Remember that I'm used to eating a Luna bar for breakfast, so fruit and a bagel is a big breakfast in my book!

For lunch, we all went to Kay 'n Dave's, a Mexican restaurant that has 7 vegetarian dishes (!) and doesn't use lard in any of their cooking. I had the fresh veggie plate because I'd eaten too much refined flour for my taste in that huge bagel. My dish was supposed to come with tortillas, but they never arrived, and I was quite content with what I had. A nice mixture of veggies with rice and beans on the side was more than satisfying for this birthday girl.

Of course, I had to have dinner, too, so off I went to Follow Your Heart (yes, again!) for a vegan reuben (yes, again!). Instead of birthday cake, I had a vegan chocolate peanut butter shake for dessert. It was worth every last sinful sip (remind me I wrote that when I attempt to murder my scale tomorrow morning)!

Thus concludes the birthday adventures of Vegyogini for 2008. Thank you for indulging me and for all your birthday wishes!

9 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

Happy Birthday Vegyogini! (belated) Sounds like a great way to celebrate. It's been ages since I've had a bagel too. I wish we had more mexican places down here that didn't use lard in their cooking....
Oh, and can't wait to see all your new kitchen toys!

Anonymous said...

happy belated birthday!!!!!! all that food sounds amazing! especially the shake. :)

hope you had a great day.

Rural Vegan said...

I'm glad you had such a festive birthday. Everything sounded great, but the birthday Reuben sounded particularly enticing!

Hannah said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had quite the fun-filled and weekend, all full of yummy foods!

bazu said...

Happy belated birthday! Looks like you had a series of awesome celebrations. All I can say is MADELEINE! Sigh!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday, sounds like it was a good one. :)

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

happy birthday! you are SO 100% allowed that shake and anything else you want on ANY day you designate as a birthday celebration day! the calories don't count then. (I'm convinced)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday....those cupcakes look like little presents!

Eric said...

Hey there, I came across your blog and I thought I'd say hello....great to see another veggie person who loves yoga!