Monday, February 18, 2008

Veganomicon's Hot Sauce-Glazed Tempeh


Last weekend, I made the Hot Sauce-Glazed Tempeh from Veganomicon along with some steamed green beans. It became my lunch for 4 out of 5 days last week and it was something I looked forward to eating every day. Instead of wine, I used 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar plus enough water to make 1/2 cup of liquid. I used 3 cloves of garlic instead of 2 and I dumped in a bunch more hot sauce than called for because I wanted to finish the bottle I had. I ended up marinating the tempeh for approximately 8 hours. I cut it into 8 thin triangles instead of 4 thicker ones because I wanted to make sure that the marinade really permeated the tempeh. The recipe gives different options for cooking the tempeh and I chose the broiling option, which worked out wonderfully. Once the tempeh was cooked, I took the remaining marinade and whatever liquid was left over from the broiling, added about 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and heated it over a medium-high flame in a saucepan until thickened. That made for a wonderful sauce that I literally scraped out of my containers with a spoon after I finished the tempeh each day. ;)

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'd simply add extra hot sauce to make it spicier, but I like your logic! I have only had tempeh once, it was flax flavored, and I didn't enjoy it very much. I do think I need to find some plain and try it again though, I hear such rave reviews about it, so either the stuff I had truly was gross or I'm crazy. :-)

Rural Vegan said...

These were really tasty when I made them, but I wished I had cut the slabs thinner to absorb more marinade, so you absolutely called that correct! They look kind of like Salisbury 'steak' with all that gravy, mmmmmmmm!

pleasantly plump vegan said...

i need to give tempeh more of a chance. i just love tofu so much. the sauce sounds great!

VeggieGirl said...

hot-glazed tempeh... looks INCREDIBLE!!

Ruby Red Vegan said...

This is a recipe I've wanted to try for forever... It must have been amazing, if you were excited to eat it for four days of one week!! Tempeh is so magical. I was reading a book for pleasure the other day, and one of the characters make a crack about how disgusting tempeh is... And I was like, what?!? Are you crazy?!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Looks like a tasty lunch to me! Oh I love tempeh....

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

What a yummy-looking lunch. And I love the cute little lunch container too.