Sunday, October 25, 2009

VeganMoFo: The Ginger Man



Although it has been a long while since I was last there, I used to attend screenings of restored classic films through the UCLA Film & Television Archive very often. The best films I saw there were Ernst Lubitsch's The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) and One Hour with You (1932). Oh, how I wish those were available on DVD to watch anytime I'd like.

This is supposed to be about the food, though, and there is a food-related story to tell. At one of these UCLA Archive screenings, I'm going to guess about 8 or 9 years ago, a man sat in a seat a couple down from mine. He had long, unkempt hair and hemp sandals. He pulled out a bulk-bin bag of crystallized ginger and started snacking happily. I thought to myself, "How can he so easily eat all that spicy ginger?"

Fast forward to some point thereafter when I, too, discovered the joys of sugared ginger. Except that I take it so far as to prefer uncrystallized ginger (the Trader Joe's brand), forgoing the extra layer of sugar in favor of an even more intensely spicy and warming ginger bite.

5 comments:

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

I had a huge addiction to candied ginger for a while... so, so good.

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Haha, hemp sandals and candied ginger go so well together. have you ever had a shot of juiced ginger? that is some spicy stuff!

Ricki said...

Is this simply dried ginger disks? Sounds totally addictive!

Anonymous said...

I just heard about the uncrystallized ginger at TJ's. I've got to try it! Regular crystal ginger is way too sweet for me.

Lex said...

I like the Ginger People chews, too! But my favorite is just the pickled ginger that comes with veggie sushi! I foolishly made Kristin like it and now I don't get hers any more...