Thursday, November 29, 2007

VeganMoFo: The Great American Detox Diet

I mentioned in an earlier post that I followed Alex Jamieson's The Great American Detox Diet for 7 weeks in June and July 2006. It was a very enjoyable experience and I've maintained many of the detox points as part of my daily diet. The book is a fantastic resource and I highly recommend buying a copy or at least checking it out from the library.

My favorite recipe from the cookbook is for Orange Date Scones. I made a batch of these every week while I was on the detox and ate them every weekday for breakfast. Except that I made Lemon Raisin Scones because it's easier to throw raisins in than to chop dates and because lemons are less expensive and easier to find than juice oranges. These scones are fantastic! They use 2 kinds of spelt flour and maple or brown rice syrup, so no refined flour or sugar (obviously, because those are 2 things from which you are detoxing on Chef Alex's plan).

I suppose I should tell you about the photo, though, right? Those are the Broccoli and Miso Calzones from Chef Alex's book that I made at some point while I was following the detox program. For me, this was an ambitious project because it was the first time I'd worked with yeast other than the 2 whole times I used my bread machine (and the last so far, actually). I remember it being a very time-consuming recipe, but also one that was worthwhile and delicious. The combination of broccoli and miso is delicious. I wonder, though, since the miso is baked inside of the calzones, does it lose most of its nutritional benefits? I just now thought of that.

In other news, my copy of The Damn Tasty! Vegan Baking Guide arrived today. I took advantage of the sale over at Squirrel's Vegan Kitchen and bought one of the "oops!" copies for only $8! Plus, she sent me a postcard and an adorable little pin of a chocolate chip cookie w/ a bite out of it. The chocolate chips form a "V" for vegan. I put it on my lunch bag. :)

No comments: