Wednesday, November 14, 2007

VeganMoFo: Dislikes and News

I seem to have caused quite an uproar in the last post where I "outed" myself as a devout onion hater. So, just to get this out of the way now, here are the other strong "no thanks yous" on my list:

1) Avocado. I don't like its texture or flavor.
2) Raw tomato. I'm definitely a fan of cooked tomatoes, but I can't handle their taste and texture raw. Also, since I was born, I've had a sensitivity/allergy to tomatoes. They give me eczema and, when I went on a tomato spree a couple months ago, gave me abdominal pain. I need to eat tomatoes in moderation.
3) Sea veggies that taste like the sea. I didn't grow up eating seafood because my brother is allergic and my mom doesn't like it. Between the time that I was 18 and 22, I incorporated a TINY bit of seafood into my diet in the form of sushi and the occasional salmon. Ever since going veg, though, I can't stand the taste of nori, so no vegan sushi for me. Oh, and no thank you to vegan faux seafood (i.e. fake shrimp and the like).
4) Side note: As a non-veg, I couldn't stand cream cheese, sour cream, ricotta cheese, and cottage cheese. Basically, white creamy stuff and I didn't mix. So, as a vegan, I've generally stayed away from substitutes for these items (I don't think a cottage cheese sub exists, though), but I'm open to trying them.

On to the news (I'm covering my ears so I don't hear you booing at me for my dislikes list. I can only hope you'll forgive me soon.): I received Veganomicon today!! I also received vegan butterscotch chips from BitterSweet. They don't taste great plain, but I'm hoping they'll perk up in baked goods. :)

UPDATE: Ok, so I posted this less than 2 hours ago, but I just had to tell you that Veganomicon's Jelly Donut Cupcakes are cooling on my counter! They're for a work friend's birthday tomorrow. My book got here just in time!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It just keeps getting worse! :) You know I kid, right?

I remember seeing your name on the comments for a while with no attached blog. I'm glad you've got one started. I added you to my blogroll.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Okay, I was definitely with you on the onions (although I'm getting better....I can handle shallots, green onions, etc, but I usually half or quarter the amount any recipe calls for)...but avocados? Oh how I love those! Guess we all have our likes and dislikes though :-)
And wow, you got busy with V-Con! Definitely let us know how those cupcakes turn out, I'm curious!

Teresa said...

Oh no Avocados! Oh well, more for me. Yeah we all have our food dislikes. I do like 1-3, but on #4 I'm with you (except for the cream cheese). I remember crying (I was a rather dramatic child I guess) because my mom told me I had to eat one pasta noodle with alfredo. Yuck creamy white alfredo!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Those jelly doughnut cupcakes sound divine :o)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

haha oh man, I love all the ingredients (the avocados, "raw" tomatoes, sea vegetables) that you don't! ah well - to each their own :0)

oooh so glad you received your copy of Veganomicon - I can't wait to hear how those Jelly Donut Cupcakes taste!! I have that cookbook as well, and the recipe looks/sounds awfully good!!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Vivacious: I know! What kind of vegan am I? ;)

Noodle, ChocolateCoveredVegan, and VeggieGirl: Stay tuned for the Jelly Donut Cupcakes review!

Maybepigscanfly: Yep, you can have mine. I'll spare you the details of the time my mom forced me to eat ricotta-filled tortellini...Let's just say that she NEVER made me eat them again!

trina said...

Booooo! (Sorry, I had to say it since everybody else was being so nice and forgiving.)