Monday, November 5, 2007

VeganMoFo catch-up

Does this count? I missed blogging on Nov. 2 and 3, so I'm going to make this post a 3-in-1! The lovely Katie posted this list to help people with VeganMoFo topics and I'm going to answer/discuss three of them here:

1. My first vegan restaurant experience was while I was in my first year of law school (also the year I went vegetarian). I had made a vegan friend and we, with some other law school colleagues, went to Real Food Daily in West Hollywood for lunch one day. I still remember that I ordered the Yin Yang salad and loved it! I feel incredibly fortunate to live in a city that is so vegan-friendly.

2. Last night, I pulled out my copy of The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak and made the Cheezy Rice and Broccoli Casserole. This is only the second recipe I've made from this book and I've had it for about a year. Let me tell you, it was easy to make and it tastes great! I left out the optional olive oil and also left out the garlic. Now, don't get me wrong, I love garlic, but I wasn't feeling like adding it to this casserole. Something interesting to note, though: I think I might have a mild allergy to nutritional yeast. :( Don't worry, that won't stop me from eating it!

3. I've found that the best vegan "dish" to make for someone afraid of vegan food is a batch of cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World or Vegan with a Vengeance. I've made a couple batches to take to work and, let me tell you, they disappear. People stop by my cubicle, peer into the container of cupcakes and tentatively ask if they may have one. Next thing I know, they're asking for thirds!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are lucky!

Meg Wolff said...

I look back on my first changes to a macrobiotic (I'm now vegan, started macro with small amounts of fish) with fond memories too. I did it for breast cancer, but ended up loving it forever ... great that you started early!!! But, better late than never, as the saying goes!