Wednesday, November 28, 2007

VeganMoFo: Sweet & Sara Review

I think it was sometime at the end of September when my most recent Vegan Essentials order arrived. Being that I'm surrounded by multiple Trader Joe's and Whole Foods stores and Follow Your Heart is so close, I rarely order from Vegan Essentials and the equally wonderful Vegan Store Pangea. However, on occasion I want or need something that I can't find locally. This particular order included Cheezly (see my VeganMoFo review of it in an earlier November post) and a bottle of vegan flax oil capsules, among many sugary goodies.

I first tried Sweet & Sara marshmallows last winter, I believe. At the time, they had three flavors: Vanilla, Mexican Chocolate, and Toasted Coconut. The vanilla flavor is good, but the chocolate and toasted coconut flavors are GREAT. I really loved the chocolate, which is apparently now obsolete. :(

I must've been feeling feisty when I placed this recent Vegan Essentials order because I added Sweet & Sara's S'Mores to my little online shopping cart. The verdict? They are very sweet. You know how some things are just so sweet that they barely taste like anything? Sweet & Sara's S'Mores are a good example of that. Instead of a marshmallow and a piece of chocolate between two graham crackers, this S'More is a layer of graham with marshmallow fluff on it and the whole thing is enrobed in chocolate. The graham cracker layer is very crumbly and not terribly flavorful. The chocolate is too sweet and could've been higher quality. This S'More is a pleasant treat, but I'd rather make my own with better quality graham crackers and chocolate. Luckily for me, Follow Your Heart now carries the vanilla Sweet & Sara marshmallows and vegan graham crackers, so I certainly could make them if I wanted to!

5 comments:

trina said...

Yay vegan cookout! How's your August?

Anonymous said...

Aw, it's a shame that the s'more was disappointing... I've heard only good things about the regular marshmallows though. I wouldn't actually know, but I'm still trying to think up a good enough excuse to merit paying $7 for a single box, plus shipping.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

August looks good for me!

The marshmallows are super-expensive and are only an every-so-often purchase for me. I think they're $5.95 + tax & shipping at Vegan Essentials, but they're $6.99 at Follow Your Heart, so no real difference in buying them in person. :( I only bought a box so I could make VeggieGirl's S'Mores Muffins. :)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I must be a sweet fiend, I like these, but I do think they could be better. I'd rather toast one of the vanilla marshmallows over a flame! yummmmmmy!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I made some of my own smores from the vanilla sweet n sara marshmallows and they were awesome. I've wanted to try those but maybe I'll stick with just the marshmallows....thanks for the review!