Monday, November 3, 2008

Vegan Drinks Meetup



Saturday evening, Happy Herbivore, her husband, and I set off for the Vegan Drinks Meetup at Sante La Brea. Lex of vegan-la.com is the Meetup organizer and he very generously bought a round of drinks for everyone (mine was a passion fruit iced tea, although I think he really meant beers!). Thanks, Lex!



Some people ordered food, including Happy Herbivore's husband, who ordered the Blue Corn Nachos (from the menu: Toasted blue corn chips topped with black bean sauce, melted soy cheese, cilantro, and scallions). I tried the one chip that had some soy cheese on it and not a dreaded scallion. I didn't really care for the soy cheese, unfortunately, and the chips were far too salty. Also, there wasn't a black bean sauce, but actual black beans, which is just as good, if not better, in my opinion. While I wouldn't order these nachos myself (try Real Food Daily's Better with Cheddar Nachos, though!), I'm glad I got to try them.

A very sweet girl in a "Powered by Tofu" t-shirt was kind enough to share a bite of her chocolate peanut butter pie with us. Happy Herbivore said it best when she exclaimed, "It tastes better than how I remember a Reese's peanut butter cup tasting!" She was absolutely right, too. I took a bite and my eyes got huge. It was really good!

While I was hoping to meet all the L.A. vegan bloggers that I'd not yet met, I believe the only other bloggers there were the couple behind the Vegan Collection (check out their blog for some beautiful photos, including one of the chocolate peanut butter pie). That just means more new people to meet next time! Everyone I met that night was friendly, generous, and eager to engage in conversation. I had so much fun spending an evening with like-minded people and it was a great way to celebrate World Vegan Day!

Before the Meetup, I had an eat-and-run dinner with some of my family at our favorite Italian restaurant, Gio Cucina Napoletana. I can't speak highly enough of this restaurant (I briefly reviewed it for VeganMoFo 2007). They not only understand the definition of veganism, but they offer an amazing selection of vegan dishes, including 4 seasonal vegan daily soup specials. I usually get a bowl of soup when I dine there and this time was no exception. I was sold on the chickpea soup (the first time they've had that on a day I've eaten there) and it was deliciously hearty and comforting.

12 comments:

Jenn Shagrin said...

I'm so glad you caught the reference! Strega Nona was one of my favorite books as a kid. Still is.
I can't blame you for not taking the challenge. Gluten Free is so tough. And I love my gluten. I made gluten free twinkies, and they ended up tasting like glorified corn bread. Next time, less corn flour.

Anonymous said...

C'est trop chouette d'avoir l'occasion de rencontrer d'autres végétaliens! Colour me jealous!

Anonymous said...

I am insanely jealous, sounds like y'all had tons of fun and sounds very ver appetizing!!!!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Another reason I need to move to LA...

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to be able to share an evening like that! (And dinner with your family sounded good, too, of course) ;)

That pie does sound amazing, as does the soup. And I've been dreaming about going to RFD for years!

Anonymous said...

looks like i missed out!!! that sounds like a BLAST.

i heard the soy cheese isn't vegan though, at sante. i guess it has milk protein in it, but then they can sub it with a tofu cheese sauce that is totally vegan. whatever, i haven't tried it yet! :p

hope to make it out to one of these things soon. too bad i was in NYC!

sante rocks!

Eric said...

Good eye! I think that shirt could definitely be a nod to Poe's classic. I hadn't ever thought of it that way, but it definitely fits.

That pie sounds soooo good. I'll have to check that place out before I move!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

What a fun day to celebrate World Vegan Day!

Ruby Red said...

Hehe, my idea of going out for vegan "drinks" would be getting some good espresso! Your vegan meetup sounds like it was a lot of fun, though! Oh my gosh, chocolate peanut butter pie! Yum!

I am catching up with your MoFo posts only now, too... You sure have been a busy, loyal MoFo poster!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Sound like so much fun! I wish there was something like this in my area.

Michelle said...

I'm not sure but going to guess that Boston has no vegan meetup groups. But maybe I will have to start one!

Anonymous said...

Just found this post! Was so great meeting you at Vegan Drinks! Thank you for blogging about it!