Thursday, December 25, 2008

Holiday Lunch



This year, I really wanted to make a holiday meal. I've been invited to a vegan holiday dinner party tonight, so I made lunch!

On the right is Salisbury Seitan from the Real Food Daily Cookbook. I made a half recipe, using seitan that I'd frozen after my Iranian feast in October. My only changes were to omit the oil and substitute vegetable broth in both the seitan marinade and the Golden Gravy. Oh, and I omitted the onion and increased the garlic in the gravy, as well.

The Salisbury Seitan is a very delicious and festive dish. I've had it at the Real Food Daily restaurants, where it's served with mashed potatoes and salad in a TV dinner sort of way, but I think it transitioned well for a holiday meal. The thyme and sage compliment the other flavors, such as dijon mustard and tahini, beautifully.

Surprisingly, it was a fairly easy main dish to make, too. I already had the seitan (but that was easy to make way back when and can obviously be prepared in advance) and the marinade barely required anything more than whisking. The gravy took a very long time to thicken, so be prepared to exercise your patience and you'll be nicely rewarded for the wait.

To the left is a repeat of the cranberry sauce that I made for Thanksgiving this year, but I added in the optional balsamic vinegar this time. At the top is my favorite stuffing, made with vegetable broth instead of orange juice and pecans instead of walnuts because I'd run out (I much prefer this with the orange juice and walnuts).

I'm bringing dessert to the party this evening and it's a test recipe for Hannah Kaminsky's current cookbook project. I haven't tasted it yet, but I know it'll be worth it's own post!

P.S. Although Indian dinner would have been nice last night, yesterday's Copper Chimney post was actually from a lunch I had the first week of December! Sorry for the confusion. :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

The steak and stuffing look great--I love me a good stuffing :). Hope you had a great holiday. . . can't wait to see what you cooked up for Hannah!

Anonymous said...

i need to get that RFD cookbook! that looks so freaking delicious.

i love everything you cook, so i'm sure this would be no exception. :p

Anonymous said...

I hear such good things about RFD, I should put it on my wish list! Joyeux Noël!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful holiday meal. Merry Christmas! :)

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

You left us with a dessert cliffhanger! :P

I hope you had a wonderful Holiday!

Anonymous said...

Your holiday meal looks so good. I want that RFD cookbook but Marty will kill me if I buy another one and never use it.

Also, I saw this deal and thought of you. Year subscription to Yoga magazine for $5.29.

http://www.bestdealmagazines.com/deal.asp

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Holiday lunch looks great! Love my RFD cookbook, but don't have the patience for some of the recipes. Way to go! :)

Anonymous said...

aww thanks:]

Anonymous said...

That salsbury seitan looks so good! I'm definitely putting it on my To Make list.