Friday, November 16, 2007

VeganMoFo: Jelly Donut Cupcakes


These Veganomicon cupcakes were a birthday gift for my dear friend J, who used to be the assistant in my department and moved into another assistant position within our company. In March, I made her the Coconut-Lime Cupcakes from VCTOTW when she left our department. I apparently set the bar extremely high with March's cupcakes because these didn't go over very well. We both thought they were ok, but not great. The cake is very moist, which is wonderful, and these are really easy to make. So easy, in fact, that I was hoping they'd be the best cupcakes ever and I could make them for everybody's birthday from now on. Alas, I probably won't be making these again. I don't know how to pinpoint my disappointment. Maybe it's because I'm not used to eating baked goods full of AP flour and white sugar. They made my tummy hurt. :( Maybe it was because the cake part didn't have a lot of flavor and, instead, sort of tasted like the AP flour more than the added vanilla and nutmeg. Whatever the reason, I'm sorry to say that these were not all that I'd hoped.

Chickpea-Noodle Soup update: Still great the next day! I was right that a lot of the liquid was absorbed overnight, but there was still enough left to keep its soup title. I also gave a bowl to an omni who quite enjoyed it.

5 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Oh well, at least you can wash down the not-so-great cupcakes with some delicious soup :o).

Anonymous said...

Aw, how disappointing... I hate it when baked goods don't come out quite as expected. And trust me, that happens ALL the time, so it's only that much better when they actually work. Here's hoping your next treats will be tastier!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Definitely an "oh, well" recipe. I think I did everything right and they just weren't for me. It's impossible to like everything, right?

Vegan_Noodle said...

Good to know... I didn't really like the sound of them from the recipe. I had a similar experience with some vanilla cupcakes. Thanksfully these kinds of experiences don't stop us from trying again, because good cupcakes are soooooo worth it.

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

I agree with you 100% on these! And I think you really hit the mark when you said that they taste more like flour and sugar than anything else. I really wanted to like them, but in the end they were just kinda... cake. The crunchy top was pretty good, but overall.... ehnnnn.